Sunday, July 22, 2012

There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Seriously, things at the wardrobe are pretty boring.  I fear I will bore you to death with all the gritty details.  Work consists of loading the car at home or storage, and unloading it at the shop.  In a huge mountain.  Then hours are spent sorting and finding a home for all of the costumes.  Yesterday, with the help of my fearless husband, the storage unit is now 100% empty and ready to be swept out and returned to the storage people.  Because there's not enough room at the shop, my entry way is now full of boxes of band hats and the scrap booking stuff I had put in storage.  I'm just waiting for someone from Hoarders to come by and help me sort it all.  On Friday, Jimmy BoBo came by and put some tall shelves together.  He was so patient when he had a little shelf elfs "helping" him... ok, they really weren't helping, they just wanted a ride.



Since Friday was mostly spent loading and unloading the car, and driving back and forth, Saturday was mostly spent sorting and hanging costumes.  Shortly after hanging up some of the stash from storage Rachel found some goodies and I spied her dancing like a rock star.
All that gold stretchy, with ninja leg wrappers and a wickershim brothers fedora.  Oh, and the ninja belt. Yes, this is my child.  And also related to Robin, who wore a similar outfit in red when she was the same age... and danced/sang a whole Brittany Spears Oops I did it again... some of you may remember that.  I will someday find that video and share it with you.  Because, frankly, it's pricelessly awesome. 

Later that day...

 Somewhere mid sitting on the ginormous pile of costumes sorting, I decided I may need a 12 step program because there is simply SO much.  Of everything.  It was all kind of hum drum until we were hit with a HABOOB!  Which, for your information, is my second favorite word.  Second only to shenanigans.  The haboob was full of shenanigans and habobbie trapped us inside the shop.  
Photo by Laszlo Layton

In case you do not know what a haboob is, here is a picture of yesterday's haboob.  It's a giant wall of dirt with huge gusting winds that pretty much sweeps on by, leaving everything filthy and gritty. Shortly after the dust stormed by some giant raindrops fell from the sky and the clouds were pretty bright and clear.  Aaron was busy watching the weather through the window and he noticed a rainbow.   I asked him if we could go on a quest across the rainbow to find the pot of gold.  He said we could, and everyone knows you need a unicorn to cross the rainbow, so I told him we'd have to get a pet unicorn first.  I am shocked to say that Aaron told me there is no such thing as a unicorn.  Silly boy, of course unicorns are real!  Instead he informed me that a unicorn is a horse with a party hat on.  Where does he come up with this stuff???  Then one of the other kids said we could fly with the unicorn and I had to school them on the difference between unicorns and pegasus.  Big difference.  This was some serious conversation.  And if we did have a winged unicorn, it would be a unisus.  All of this while sorting costumes.  Ashley was helping with the sorting/hanging and then found actual proof that unicorns are real.  
SEE?!?!?  Unicorns are totally real.   And come in different colors, like purple.  

To find a unicorn, you must ask a gypsy.  But only this kind of gypsy... 
The matching kind of gypsy.  They are known unicorn breeders and, for a small price will provide you with the perfect unicorn.  

Who doesn't have unicorns???
A cow person.  Because cow persons have horses and cows.  Not unicorns.  Unless it's the horses birthday and they are wearing a party hat. 

After this whole conversation, you may think I need to see a doctor...
But I already have and am thus heavily medicated in order to maintain normalcy.  This is proof that I'm sane and this conversation is true and correct.  

On another note, going through boxes that have been in storage forever have brought many fond memories to light.  I've found pictures and papers and things from the big kids when they were super little.  Things like this:
Oh snap - it's upside down.  It is written on a paper towel.  It says, "Dear Mom, I love you! I want to be my mom forever! Love, Jamie"   Precious.  I will keep it forever.  Unless the hoarder peeps toss it without my knowing.  

Today was a much needed day off from the shop.  I officially did our laundry and actually cooked dinner tonight.  I know, it's shocking but true. Tomorrow there will be more sorting and organizing, along with tons of shenanigans and possibly a haboob.  I hope to open the shop for business on Saturday... we shall see!  Until then, let your life be full of rainbows and unicorns, pots of gold, a unisus or two and the occasional haboob.  All topped off with a healthy dose of shenanigans.  







No comments:

Post a Comment