Saturday, July 7, 2012

Watch Out HGTV!

Today I feel like someone from flip that house, or Holmes on Homes.  Or extreme makeover - home edition.  I also feel like something is getting done.  It's still hot but (fingers crossed!) we should have power on Monday!  Believe me, if we don't, you'll be the third to know!  First will be the power company, second my landlord and then you.  Yes, that's where you fall in the order of things.

Friday was spent filling the rest of the holes and cracks in the concrete. Fun stuff!  Actually, it wasn't that bad at all.
Some are filled, but there's the big gap waiting to eat some concrete. 

It's hard to see in this picture, but these are pretty big holes in the slab.  They were EVERYWHERE.  Makes me wonder what on earth the builders were doing in there?
And this picture - this I dedicate to Claire Curtis.  Now you know why I take pictures of everyone else and not me.  Because I look crazy.  I don't do my hair before going because it's going to get weird and sweaty anyhow (don't judge!  There's no a/c and it's like 110!!) So why bother?  Oh, and the nasty t-shirt?  Yup. Classy.  But this is me, filling holes in concrete.  :) 

It was so fun and easy Rachel was hard at work feeding the hungry concrete.  She's so funny, she grabbed the empty cement container and used it as a chair.  

And then I found this little gem.  Rachel started fake sleeping when she saw I had the camera.  They pretty much did this most of the day.  And when they weren't doing this, one would roll one of those big white rolls along the stack of flooring (that Aaron is laying on) while another (or two) who were standing on the wood flooring pile would jump over it.  It was the gauntlet - flooring style.  

We finished up filling in all the holes and then called it a night.  This evening we went back to start on the actual flooring!!! 

Don't know why some of these are so blurry, aside from the fact that I asked the littles to take pictures... (which, for your information, landed me with several very strange video's on my phone...) But here I am.  One crazy lady and a pile of flooring.  

First I laid out the plastic stuff.  I think it's called a vapor layer or vapor protector or vapor cover?  Something like that, but not vapor rub... for sure not that one. 

That's my bandanna I stick ice cubes in when it's super hot.  It was hot today, but I didn't want to drip on the floor so I didn't do the ice cube trick.  :)  Oh, and some of you may recognize this black plastic!  We've had it for YEARS.  These pieces I'm working on above are actually ones we used to make a haunted maze one year for one of our Halloween parties.  Thomas, Jake and Spencer probably remember it well!  Ha! 
Here's about where Austin joined us (thankfully!) I ran out of the used stuff and rolled out some from a new roll, then remembered I forgot to bring scissors... except these - which I was just being silly, those wouldn't cut anything.  But they're funny.  
Austin's cutting the plastic the correct way. With a razor blade.  I'm going to bring scissors next time, the blade almost got me (and some fingers) a couple times.  I kinda like my fingers, and finger tips... I think I want to keep them with me. 
After the vapor plastic layer comes the padding thing (the white stuff) and, as you can plainly see the FIRST ROW OF FLOORING!  Now that's exciting! 
It was the kids job to keep us loaded with planks.  Between loading us up, they got busy on building a fort.  I think I told you they have a great imagination!  
Yes, it's true.  That's me and I did actually do some of the flooring.  In all fairness, Austin did most of it but I did lots, too.  
And when Austin came to help me by holding the plank down while I hammered his sock got stuck.  It was actually really funny, and REALLY stuck in there!  
Time to check on the littles.  Where did they go?  Oh, they made a log cabin out of padding rolls!  What's really funny is they built it around them, and their only way out was cabin destruction.  They didn't seem to mind though - they knew they could build another.  :) You can't really see her but Rachel is in there, too.  
It was getting late, and we only had minimal lighting but Austin finished this row, and I think 2 more before we called it a night.  It's looking good!!  If you're looking to re-do your floors you know who to call!  And it's not me, because this is fun and all but totally not my thing.  Unless it's for me and it's saving money... because I'm cheap like that.  Don't you wish you could have fun with us, too?  Um hum, I'm pretty sure you're all missing out.  (oh who am I kidding.  This is  hard work and it kinda sucks and my back hurts and I never want to sweat again... but I'm happy to do it and I know it will be worth it in the end!) 

That's all for now folks!  Have a great night.  
















2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, and I promise...all the crazy will be worth it. I had pneumonia when we loaded 3 cars with all my flooring and unloaded it. It is QUITE the crazy process. BE SOOOO thankful you don't have to build walls, put in doors...it gets even crazier. But LOVE having an awesome neighbor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get the next installment! I don't take time often to read blogs, but this is so much fun... from coastal-cool Costa Mesa, CA. Hugs and cool breezes your way! Aunt Carole

    ReplyDelete