Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Finally... I blogged!

I'm back!  It's been a bit of an adjustment getting into the new routines of life but I think I've finally got it down.  Ok, well I think at least I know what's going on some of the time anyway...  I'm guessing you've all heard WE PASSED INSPECTION!!  YIPPEE!  That is great news, because we opened for business the very next day.  We've been open now for about 2 weeks, we've made a few sales and have several walk in's per day which is promising!  On top of the shop opening, school started for the littles AND I'm busy building Little Shop of Horrors.  Here's the ins and outs of what's been going on here...


First of all, we had to lock up the littles.  Ok, kidding but it was funny to take this picture.  :) 




















Next, the costumes for Spelling Bee came back.  Which was my first ever return at the new shop!  I took the laundry home to wash it, and was at a quandary as to what to do with the wedding dress (rented for another show, returned at the same time) It for sure needed a wash down, but the dry cleaners wanted big bucks because of the crystals on the dress.   So I did the unthinkable and washed it in the washing machine.  :)  So, wanna know what happened to a super expensive wedding dress with crystals on it when I washed it????  It got clean.  And it looks beautiful.  I washed it on gentle and hung it up to dry.  seriously, I wonder if dry cleaning is some sort of scam.  Kidding, I know there's some things that really need it (like suits and wool) but still...

While all of that was going on, I was also building Little Shop.  The amazing director wants everything in larger than life colors, which isn't too much of a challenge BUT seriously - how do you make a homeless person in bright colors???  Well I'm doing it. And it's looking amazing.  I found the polo shirts for the Trio's opening uniforms and dyed them purple.  I couldn't find bright colored pants for the men, so I found some bone colored dockers and dyed them...


purple water!

pants... 

green water!!

And yes, I washed the washing machine after and most of that pretty rainbow stuff on the agitator is gone.  And I love my washing machine - GO KENMORE! Just in case you're wondering... 

And the plant.  There's 4 of them.  I got to work on the second one.  So we make lots of leaves.  And here's how it went...
leaf pattern. 

big leaf with the casing in it for wire.

Here's how the leafs go onto the plant. 



Here's the pod covered with fabric.  The green tube on the bottom is where the hand goes.  It will be covered with vine and leafs. 

FEED ME RACHEL!

Here's the inside of the mouth.  It will be painted and such so it will actually look quite a bit different once it's finished.  


And... we had a great photo shoot!!! 

And I'm in love with Audrey's dress!  She's so cute!!

Seymour has 2 of these jackets - one will be attached to the puppet I made (above).  This one is his actual jacket. 




And... the kids are fantastic and helpful coming back to the shop after school!!!  Only problem is.... I bought this amazing dress form to work with and... well... Rachel not only named it, she pretty much took it over.  She's always draping things on it and actually takes my stuff off of it!  That kid!!  Or she asks me when I'll be done so she can get back to work.  Geesh!  But she's so talented and cute!!  
She's ready for Project Runway!!!  

Ok, I need to get back to the sewing.  And painting... I'm painting costumes today 'cause the dye wasn't bright enough for my liking.  :)  More to come soon!!!!  




No comments:

Post a Comment