Wednesday, August 29, 2012

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS!

Yes, it's true.  It is tech week for Little Shop.  They open on Friday August 31.  The littles and I sat through dress rehearsal last night, and I have some photos and video (if it loads correctly) to share with you!  You're welcome!

But first, let me just say that hands down, this was the easiest tech week ever for me.  I contribute that fact to having space to work and pull and plan.  The awesome production crew and cast had a lot to do with it as well!  :)  And next, true to form, I will tell you a cute little story about my kids.  (awe, I know you love the cute little kid stories!!)

We were sitting in the theatre last night waiting for the show to start.  Daniel Davisson is doing the lighting, and he always does a fantastic job.  In this show, there's a projection on a scrim that says "Little Shop Of Horrors".   So, I'm sitting next to Benjamin, who is sitting next to Rachel, who is sitting next to Aaron.  Benjamin asked what it said.  So Rachel says, "Little Shop of Horrors".  Benjamin then looks at me and says, "why do they call it little shop of hoarders?"  So I giggle and say, "it's HORRORS - not hoarders.  A hoarder is someone who keeps lots of stuff, a horror is something scary."  Ben replies, "OH!  We're hoarders, we have lots of toys. So why do they call it Little Shop of Whores?" .,, Me (laughing out loud) "It's HORRORS, not whores or hoarders."  Benjamin, "Oh, hhoooaaaarrrdddeeerrrsss".   By this point I figured it wasn't going to stick and I was just glad he was calling it little shop of hoarders instead of little shop of whores.  And I was doubly glad he didn't ask what a whore was... because THAT is a conversation for another day. End of Story.  I know, it's cute.  And funny.


First of all, this week was full of building this and that.  The challenge was to take this orb and turn it into a gas mask of sorts for the dentist...

Here's my sketch of what I wanted to make... 

I took vinyl, foam board, battery operated christmas lights and lots of duck tape and put it all together.  Jennifer, the awesome props gal found some empty canisters to use as gas packs.  I attached them to the back of this later.  (you'll see it in the pictures later). 



And this is me, trying to sew a vinyl shoulder piece to the orb.  Just so you know, despite my best efforts to sew it on the machine it didn't work, and I got to sew it on by hand.  :)  

 Here are some pictures from the dress rehearsal, and mic check.  Please remember that these are taken ONLY in rehearsal, and they are taken with my phone.  Picture and sound quality is lacking, but I thought you'd like to see it any way.  And, if it's THIS good in bad pictures think of how amazing it will be through the run!  Seriously, buy tickets NOW!!  Theatre Works in Peoria.



 











Feed Me Seymour!  Feed me all night long!



And, sadly, the last video isn't loading... I'll try again tomorrow.  For your viewing pleasure.  :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment