Thursday, May 10, 2012

Holy Costume Creations Batman!

Oh today.  Today.  You really, really tried to get me didn't you.  But I won, and here we are.  A little personal background - last night was spent with zero sleep and a barfing 6 year old. So today was more than a little interesting and, well, kind of spacey (on my part).  Even with a sick child at home, I think we accomplished quite a bit!

At the start of work today I was a bit uptight about the mess everywhere.  I like things neat, and we've been in such a rush putting costumes together that there was just too much all over the floor and work space and, well, everywhere.  So I went about putting things away.  Trims.  Thread.  Scraps of left overs into the trash.  Trash was collected and sent to the dumpster outside.  I folded fabric that had been used and thrown into a big heap.  I have zero guilt that I was cleaning up instead of producing costumes.  I was a much happier camper once it was clean enough.  I realize it wasn't completely clean, but it was MUCH better than it was. Did you know that there is carpet in there?  Who knew?  And there's actually a top to the sewing tables - it's a nice flat surface to work on. Shocking. :) After the cleaning frenzy we got to work!

Kaylie (I've been spelling her name wrong.  So sorry Kaylie)  worked on Cogsworth, and started on a nice shirt for the Beast to wear in his fancy coat and knickers.  I am sure she'll have it finished tomorrow in no time!  Here she is sewing at the machine.  She's wearing a super cute green dress, too.  :)

While Kaylie was working on this shirt, Katelynn (I was spelling her name wrong too... ugh so sorry Katelynn!) and Melanie got to work on Babettes feather piece to her enchanted outfit.  They cut maribou boas and first sewed them to some snap tape, and then glued them onto the tape.  Once done with that I had Katelynn glue the open ends so they'd stop shedding all over the place.  

 While they worked on Babette, Carson finished the Cogsworth hat and started some cute tops for the Silly Girls to wear under their dresses.  I spent my time working on alterations from fittings yesterday and Cogsworth's jacket - adding the cuffs and pocket flaps.  (remember, I was also taking care of a sick little guy) And I didn't take pictures of Carson or myself or our projects.  I promise I"ll try to do better tomorrow.  
Later this evening I went back up to the Wardrobe to see what I could get done before tomorrow.  There were stray feathers everywhere and more fabric scraps and such all over the place.  I decided it was time to vacuum.  Whenever I vacuum the sewing area, I get to clean out the vacuum afterwards because it looks like this.
I had already picked off a bunch from the left side, it looked more like the right side all over.  It was pretty gross, but the carpets look awesome now and no more feather floor covering! 


Next I had a chance to make Mrs. Potts round body cover.  Wow, that sounds kinda funny.  But I measured around the biggest part of the ball and then took the fabric and cut it into sections that are wide in the center and more narrow at the top or bottom to make a big ball out of fabric.  Then I proceeded to "fit" the big paper mache ball to the fabric ball.  Here's a couple pictures of what it looks like now.  
This is the outside and the inside, and then the front.  I am very happy with it and super excited to finish it up tomorrow!  
Meanwhile, while I was working on Mrs. Potts, my faithful helper came up to, well, help.  (I use the word help very lightly here...) His idea of helping was trying everything out.  He wanted so badly to get in all of the enchanted costumes, and then he saw Cogsworths hat.  And here's how THAT ended up. 
He's too adorable.  (he's not the sick one... yet) What is super cute is this kid has been playing "Beauty and the Beast" with his stuffed animals all afternoon.  He made a "clock guy" and a "candle fire guy" and a Beast and even the enchantress who puts the spell on the beast (which is really an orange beanie baby with a cross on his tummy dressed in a jedi robe made for beanie babies).  He told me he chose the bear with the cross because it was kinda freaky.  Silly boy.  He used pipe cleaners to make his stuffed giraffe into Lumiere.  It was pretty inventive and super cute, and I'm sorry I didn't take pictures. That was all happening in the thick of the afternoon crazies.  Knowing him, I'm sure he'll play it again tomorrow and I'll be sure to take pictures.  Creativity and imagination runs strong in this one.  

So after all night of no sleep and a day full of work/kids/crazy and fun I am off to bed.  After a much needed bit of ice cream.  Happy sleeping! 




No comments:

Post a Comment