Thursday, May 24, 2012

This is IT folks! There's so much in here you're gonna freak out!

First of all, as if this were a super long facebook post, what's on my mind is this:  1. My back hurts SO  badly I can't stop thinking about it.  2.  I simply cannot believe how much we got done in the past couple of weeks!  3.  Is it true?  Are both shows up and running? 4.  Wow! I have my life back!  5.  oh, that means I get to catch up on house cleaning and laundry.....

Ha ha, right?  But I'm serious people.  Serious.  I had good intentions to post this morning on what happened yesterday, but time escaped me and I had to get to work.  Consider this a double whammy!  Yesterday started out with SO much to get done.  I made 3 "Pinky's girls" dresses, worked on Edna and Tracy's 60's dresses, did a ton of alterations, switched some zippers for Velcro (sad day when a zipper just isn't fast enough) and tons more.  Monday - Wednesday nights were spent at the theatre sewing and fixing this and that.  Last night Austin brought the littles (and pizza!) and we all watched the show.
Here's the boys in the green room, having our little family dinner.  :)  

So, I see a lot of theatre.  I see it in so many different theatres; youth, adult, straight plays, musicals, all over Phoenix.  This, and the fact that I know how the backstage magic works, makes me a bit of a critic as to if a show is good or not.  This being said, I sat down in the audience to see Hairspray for the first time and didn't have high expectations.  I was simply just going to see the show and figure out what costume issues needed to be addressed.  Well, I'll tell you honestly that this show is AMAZING!  Down right AWESOME!  The choreography is spot on and fantastic, the actors are all on and in character and the direction is by far the best I've seen in a long time.  My friend, Kyle C. Green is the director/choreographer and he did a phenomenal job!!  I am very proud to be part of this production, and must say that I encourage everyone to BUY TICKETS NOW to see the show.  


Now... here's the moment you've been dying to see... the moment where I share pictures from rehearsal!  Mind you most of these were taken with my iPhone camera, and I was half way up in the seats... and it's tech rehearsal so there's the board right in front.... ok here you go! 
Welcome to the 60's!  This is before we put the blue feathers on Edna's dress.  Now they're on, but you get the gist of it. 
This is after rehearsal, when Kyle (in the green shirt) was talking to the cast, who are mostly in costume still.

More talking/listening.


And here you can see Wendy sitting at the board, where they set all of the cue's into the computers for the lights, etc.  

Here's Shandi modeling Edna's 60's dress after the feathers were sewn on today. 

Here's what the green room looks like on a random show night (it happened to be tonight)

And here's what the shows all about.  Hair!  Joe Navan did the wigs and they're amazing.  So amazing I couldn't get them all in one photo!  The empty Styrofoam heads are home to wigs already being worn by actors. 


Here's more back stage in the hall at Mesa Arts Center.  There are some of the actors talking to a stage hand. 

This is Joe, the super wig man, putting makeup on Joel - Corney Collins. 

More wigs!  

One of the prop tables.  In theatre, prop tables are taped off leaving little labeled spaces to put specific props.  This keeps everything organized, and makes it fast to grab and easy to return. 


I have several pictures from the show, but my computer is running super slow.  I will post again tomorrow with the rest of the pictures.  Remember - BUY YOUR TICKETS for Hairspray at the Mesa Arts Center!  It's SO awesomely good!  



No comments:

Post a Comment