Sunday, June 24, 2012

Backpack - Backpack!

Yes, it's true.  I have a backpack.  If you know me, you've probably seen me walking around with it on my back.  I fully realize that it probably looks about as lame as possible for an old crazy lady to use a backpack instead of a purse but I have 2 reasons.  And they're really good ones.  I first considered using a backpack instead of a purse because I have chronic and horrible back pain.  As a working/business owner and Mom my purses were often heavy and carried not only the things I needed, but also misc snacks and toys from the kids.  I noticed my back aching more after holding my purse on my shoulder for longer periods of time.  Secondly, as a working/business owner and Mom I like the use of both of my hands.  I like to get things done - and the less that I have to combat to get it done the better.  Thus the genius idea of the backpack.

The first backpack I was using was one we had laying around the house.  It is kinda big, and has a huge Mickey Mouse on it.  Don't get me wrong, I do love Mickey.  I didn't mind the Mickey logo most of the time - say making Walmart runs, or going somewhere with the kids.  BUT sometimes I was a bit uncomfortable.  I decided I wanted to try something smaller - and a little more stealth.  I found a little black backpack for $10 at Walmart.  What a deal - right?  Well, I got what I paid for because within a week the inside lining that separated the stuff from the front pouch and the big pouch was torn.  Perhaps it was my fault, as I would stuff the iPad into the big pouch and it was just a wee bit too small. So it was kinda torn up inside.  But I can be a little cheap so I kept using it.  Problem #2 started happening....  I live in Arizona and it's pretty hot here... and my backpack was made out of nylon and didn't breath.  This greatly enhanced the fact that I'm old and sweaty.  It made my back sweat and my clothes stuck to my back and it was just... icky.  While I could handle the damaged backpack I simply couldn't handle the sweaty back.  So I went on a search for the perfect backpack.  It couldn't be too big, but a little bigger than the one I was using.  It had to be made out of breathable fabric.  It had to be strong and have actual backpack straps on it - not drawstrings.  I wanted several pockets in it.  It also needed to be somewhat age appropriate and stylish.  Apparently I was asking for too much.  So I thought about what, exactly, I wanted and I made it.  Today.  Rarely do I take the time to sew for ME - though I really do have tons of things I want to make for me.  I just forget to make the time for me.  But I did today and I don't feel guilty not one bit!

Here's the fabrics all cut out and ready to transform into the backpack.

It looks like a pile of gobblie goosh, right?  

First things first, I prepared the pockets and then started making the smaller pouch that goes on the front.  Above I'm sewing the lining onto the outer pouch. When I was finished with that step, it looked like this:

Then I needed to cut an opening in the top to put in a zipper like this: 

Zipper!!  

Next I reinforced the ends of the zipper to make sure it stayed strong (above).  
Here's the inside of the front pouch with it's pocket.  I put the little paper there so you could see where the pocket was.  

And here's the front pouch attached to the front piece of the backpack!  Yay!  It kinda looks like it's going to eat you...  
It's hard to see in this picture, but I added pockets to the outside sides of the backpack.  This picture is one of the side pockets.  
I harvested the webbing and plastic hardware from the old backpack... which was upsetting to Rachel as she really wanted to keep my old backpack.  Up to this point it wasn't really stressful - I was just putting all the puzzle pieces together.  Here I had to rip apart the old backpack to use the webbing... it's a point of no return - and no messing up!  

But all is well!!!  Backpack is finished.  There's a hook strap at the top that I can pick it up with, as well as padded shoulder straps (with the adjustable webbing from the old pack).  Both pouches are zippered shut.  There's a larger pocket in the big pouch, two small pockets int he smaller pouch and 2 side pockets.  It's light weight, comfortable, breathable and big enough to hold everything I need to hold.  I'm pretty excited about my backpack!  It's a one of a kind original.  I may walk around town like a dork with a backpack but I really don't care.  I'm in less pain and I'm 2 handed functional so go ahead and laugh it up!  Because my backpack is better than your purse ANY day.  


Going back in time.... to yesterday when we had Peanuts fittings!  Here are some pictures of some of the Charlie Brown kids : 
Chuckels Brown

Schroder

Sally

Lucy

Violet

And here's Linus in the making.  It's finished now, but here I'm sewing the black stripes onto the red shirt.  :)  

I'm still making Snoopy, but when I get it done and on the actor I'll take pictures and post them for your amusement.  

Tomorrow it's back to the show, and everything else I need to finish... and clean up... This week we're having adult sewing classes in the Wardrobe!  Maybe they'll let me take pictures.......  
















2 comments:

  1. I love your backpack!! Gorgeous material! I think the only thing that could improve it would be a lining in a light color to enhance seeing what is in the bag. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted the darker fabric on the inside for a couple reasons. I want to be able to wash it and didn't want the black on the outside to make the inside dingey, and I don't want the inside to look dirty when I'm using it... I could have gone for more of a grey, but my last reason is that I found that fabric in the remnant bin... and... well... I'm cheap. :)

      Delete