Saturday, June 9, 2012

Maggie, The Best Dog in the World

It's a sad time at the Wardrobe.  If you've been here, you've met Maggie.  She is the sweetest, and smartest dog I've ever met.  BUT when someone comes to the door, she will bark like she's going to eat you for breakfast.  And, if you come in the house uninvited, or try and scare the kids, she will protect us with everything she's got.  Maggie is the best.  She is my friend, and my buddy.  Maggie passed away yesterday.  And my heart is breaking.  This is a tribute to Maggie May, who will forever live in my heart.

10 years ago we bought little Maggie.  She was curious and brave, and we soon found out she was VERY smart.  Maggie never liked to be left alone.  She was a person in a dog costume.  Once, when we went on a trip and left her with a house/dog sitter she ate the couch.  Seriously people - ate the couch.  (now the couch has been reupholstered and is all fixed).

When she was two she gave birth to 11 cute little puppies.  On my living room carpet... but I'm just grateful we got her off the couch.  She was a trooper and such a great mommy.  Maggie was so curious about all of her little babies.  She was so smart that frequently, in the night she would somehow let her babies out of the kennel they all shared (it was a BIG kennel) and let them poop in the family room.  Then she'd somehow get them all back to the kennel to refuel.  We have no idea how she did that, but she did.  Some mornings we'd wake up to loads of puppy poop all over and Maggie on the outside of the kennel, but her babies on the inside.

Maggie is so smart she could open the doors in our home.  We frequently had to leave the front door locked because she could open it.  One time, our friend Andy came to fix our A/C.  We were out for the day, so he was here working on it alone.  He came in to use the bathroom and while he was mid-pottying, he saw the door handle moving and the door opening.  Of course he thought we were home and walking in on him.  Andy started freaking out until the door opened and it was Maggie.  This story will always make me laugh.  Another time last summer I went out to get the mail.  Maggie wasn't happy that I didn't take her with me and when I got back to the door she had locked me out.  Seriously people, this dog is smart.  I stood there at the door looking through the window asking her to let me back in.  She actually SMILED at me like she knew exactly what was going on.  I decided it was time to go around back and crawl through the doggie door. As I walked away to open the gate Maggie opened the door for me.  She was so proud of herself.  Silly Maggie.
                                  

As most of you know, we have a huge family.  We often didn't notice if a friend was at the dinner table.  On several occasions Maggie (and her buddy Peter) would sit in the chairs at the table like people, waiting for their people dinner to be served.  Because they were so well behaved at the table, honestly we didn't notice there were dogs at the table until we took a double take.  Of course we didn't let them eat at the table, but they made some valiant efforts - and they made us laugh.

Little Miss Maggie loved car rides.  She'd ride shotgun whenever we'd let her.  She took the littles to school with me every morning.  Maggie would sit in the seats like a person and was super well behaved.  She was always smiling in the car.

I will miss my car ride buddy.  I'll miss looking over and seeing her smiling face. 

Maggie would hug me when I was sad, she would listen to me.  She would keep us safe.  Maggie would do anything I asked her to do, but not much what others asked her to do.  Maggie LOVED food.  She is the master pizza stealer.  She'd steal pizza right out of your hand if you were looking the other way.  It's not her best quality, but it was her.  Maggie was more than a doggie, she was my friend.  Maggie loved me, and I love her.
















This morning I knew she wouldn't be here to say good morning.  Our house will never be the same, but she will always live in our hearts.  She has forever changed us for the better.  We love you, Maggie May.  You're the BEST doggie in the whole world.   Daddy said it best last night - Maggie is one of a kind.  There will never be another Maggie, and there was never one before her.  Rest well, Maggie May.

1 comment:

  1. Animals are pure love. Maggie sounds like a wonderful doggie. So Sorry for your loss, Rebecca. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete