Saturday, June 2, 2012

Wedding Dress = DONE!



 On occasion, and only when I really feel nice, I say yes to making or altering a wedding dress.  A couple months back the cutest girl came over with this wedding dress.  It was HUGE.  Well, it was a size 4 or something but it was HUGE on her.  She wanted me to alter the dress so it would fit her...  my advice?  I said, "I could do it, but it would be cheaper and easier if I just made you a new dress."  So I did.  She sent back her $1000 something dress and I made her a new dress.  Just for her, exactly how she wanted it.  Today I finally finished the dress!  yay!  And, in case you're wondering, I think I'll put wedding dresses on the back burner (unless it's my daughters... then they're stuck with me! Ha!)




          Left is the after, right is before.









So, midst cleaning up after Beauty and the Beast, getting things cleaned up for sewing classes and starting projects for Princess Amerah, the wedding dress was made.  Here's the original dress, all pinned up on her. These were taken at our first meeting.
As you can see, this is the back of the dress.  It's pinned up over 2" above her shoulders.

This is a close up of the embellishment.  To alter the dress, I would have to un-pick all of the lace and beads, alter the dress, and replace the lace and beads.  Um yah... no thank you sir!

And these huge saggy boobie pockets simply won't do.  No no no.


Here's the dress today:
This is the bodice up close.  It is really, really beautiful. 

(She really doesn't like this picture, so don't tell her it's on the blog! )  But you can see the whole dress.  And a huge mess behind/beside her. But that mess - it's just your imagination.  It's not really there.

Here's the back of the dress.  Instead of being sheer and low cut, I put a piece of skin colored lycra covered with tulle in the insert.  The picture isn't so great, but in person it really looks like it's her skin - not just all covered up.
This is the bottom of the train in the back.  The original dress didn't have any embellishment on the train, but her sister suggested it the other day and we all agree that it looks fantastic!  

I am super happy with the way it turned out, and the bride is thrilled, too!  She's seriously the cutest girl, and I am sure her wedding will be as beautiful as she is.

1 comment:

  1. Why didn't I think to come to you for my wedding dress??? You've got some serious mad skills ;) Man I wish I had known you during my competitive ballroom days! I would have been the best dressed dancer on the floor!

    ReplyDelete